Tuesday, February 09, 2010

My Letter to Congressman Doggett

Because both of my Senators are Republicans, and because I harbor some concern that Republicans would actively work to deport Alex because he's caught the gay, even though he is here legally and is doing nothing wrong, I hesitate to write them directly.

However, in support of my previous request, I have practiced what I preached and sent another letter today to my Congressman, Lloyd Doggett.

Here it is:

Congressman Doggett,

I am writing to you today to reiterate my request that you support and sponsor the Uniting American Families Act. I was reminded of your stance when I read today of a letter that was sent by the Congressional LGBT Equality Caucus to President Obama, Speaker Pelosi, Chairman Schumer, and Chairwoman Lofgren.

In that letter, they asked that the text of the Uniting American Families Act be included in any comprehensive immigration reform bill. I would ask that you wholeheartedly support such an action.

I have a very personal stake in this. On February 15, I will celebrate my 7 year anniversary with my partner. During that time, we have run the gauntlet of immigration issues, and we have been pretty successful so far, though it has come at great economic cost. However, we will be out of options as of February 1 of next year and be forced to find another country to call home. He comes from a Muslim country, so we can't go there. That leaves us with either splitting up or finding a new country to call home. This would be a new country without our families, without our friends.

I am asking that you recognize that I as an American am just as deserving of equal rights to sponsor the person I love as my straight next door neighbor, who did sponsor his wife for permanent residency. Please support this cause so that we can get on with our lives without waiting for the other immigration shoe to drop.

Thanks for your time and attention to this matter.

Sincerely,
Andy


-Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis